dimanche 18 janvier 2009

New life!!

Right, I haven't put anything here for nearly a year and am rather shamed of this. I've been a legal Oxford linguist for four months now and have learnt a lot. This blog, which was intended to record my life as a growing linguist, must be revived.

I'm thinking of putting myself up for the Oxford Linguistics Society elections. The Society has been inert for quite a while, I have heard, and the linguists are thinking of re-establish it. I had a crazy thought of becoming the president, but am not sure if I'm good enough. I've never done anything like this before.

Also, painful choice was made between Arabic and Greek and as 2009 is a new chapter in my life, Arabic as a new language/my ancestral language should mark this significant start. I'm too much of a supporter of the Critical Period Hypothesis to forsake my young adulthood as my last chance of learning a completely new language. I should have learnt Arabic when I was younger. I should have learnt Arabic instead of Korean. But then again the benefit of Korean is my instinct for agglutinative languages such as Turkish which I'm going to learn some time in the future.

I almost see learning Arabic as home-coming. Arabic is coming back to me; or better, I'm coming back to Arabic.

Aucun commentaire: